Friday, September 28, 2007

My standards

Did you know that the Electron Transport Chain after the Citrus Cycle in the Christae of the Mitochondria produces 34 ATP?

No? Yeah, me neither.

I have found an amazing phenomenon in my life. If I set my standards at a less than adequate position, they are incredibly easier to meet. Now, this makes me sound like a complete transient but I have discovered a great tool in helping me become what I perceive as successful.

Example:

I had a Biology test yesterday that yielded a numbing sense of distress that wasn't strong enough to study for it. My goal is to just pass this class and in order to do that I was aiming for a gentleman's "C" on the exam. I arrived at the testing center of my school and sat down and gave a feeble attempt at focusing.

I needed a Dr. Pepper...sweet nectar of the gods.

After the ensemble of sensory prickling that the Dr. Pepper provided, I opened my book. Wow, that's a lot of words. Crap. Okay, focus Jacob. I take another sip.

Screw it, I walk up to the desk that will provide me with my imminent doom and pray for an undeserving miracle.

Blah Blah Blah I take the test and get a "C".

I am overjoyed.

How pathetic is that? I am a graphic design major which automatically plants a "perfectionist" stereotype which fits like a snug turtleneck. Since when have I diminished my standards? Were they ever high to start off with? Am I really bothered by this? No, not really. Well great, this brings up a whole other concourse of problems.

Oh well, it's not that bad. I need to go volunteer at a soup kitchen.

1 comment:

Rachel Eve said...

YES a C! That's amazing. I would have been plenty happy with that.

Thank you nectar of the gods!